Complete the following drills at least 3 times a week starting at the top and working your way down the list. You must be able to complete each test before moving on to the next set of drills. If you cannot complete the test stop there for the day and keep working towards being able to.
If you are already proficient at pullups complete the drills but doing each drill with chest to bar pullups.
- Strict Pullups
- 5×5 strict pull-ups with a slow and controlled negative (use a band if necessary)
- Move on to kipping pullups when you can complete 1 set of 5 strict pullups (no negative)
- Kipping Pullups
- 3×5 kip swings
- 3×3 kipping pullups w/ pause at top
- 3×3 kipping pullups
- Move on the butterfly pullups when you can complete 10 kipping pullups without breaking or stopping your kip
- Butterfly Pullups
- 3×10 box butterly pullups
- 5×30 seconds of butterly pullup attempts
THESE PROGRESSIONS AND TEST ARE THERE FOR A REASON, SKIPPING STEPS CAN CAUSE SHOULDER DAMAGE.
DO NOT JUMP STRAIGHT TO BUTTERFLY PULLUPS WITHOUT BECOMING PROFIECIENT AT STRICT PULLUPS THEN KIPPING PULLUPS.